One of my favorite things to cook once it starts getting cold out is soup! It is a great thing to make a big batch of on Sunday afternoon and eat for lunches throughout the week. This tomato-basil-cheddar soup, made with greek yogurt, is one that you will definitely want second servings of. This recipe is originally from ShrinkingKitchen.com.
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Toss in the chopped yellow onion, and allow to cook until tender
- Add 2 cloves chopped garlic, and cook about two more minutes.
- Pour in the two cans of tomatoes (undrained) and the 2 cups vegetable stock. Stir in the 1/2 cup of chopped basil, 2 teaspoons of oregano, 1 teaspoons of sugar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the lid back onto the pot and allow to simmer ten minutes.
- Finally, stir in the cup of Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup of fat-free half and half, and cup of reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese until well blended.
- Use either an immersion blender or regular blender to puree the soup